Welcome to your Weekly Update

Welcome to the weekly Covid-19 update brought to you by Den Danske Mission (and a lot of sarcasm). Let's start off with the numbers (as of 14:00 Danish United Military Time):

People Found Positive: 898

People Tested: 5749

People Dead: 4

People in Intensive Care: 2

People in Hospitals: 28


Let's dig right into these numbers. From the reliable source of our mission leader, these numbers are FAKE. They are, from my interpretation, an attempt to diminish the fear of the people and coerce them in to an unknowing state, so they don't venture out and purchase all the necessary goods (or just... Everything... In every... Grocery Store).


How are these numbers fake you may ask? Well, around March 13th, Denmark decided that they should only test those who are at a high risk of death or those with problematic medical issues that could complicate the virus. For all we know, Denmark could be just as infected as places like Italy or China. According to population to people infected, Denmark is worse than China (but that's not that big of a surprise saying the massive population count of China).


When Danes talk about "Hygge" THEY LIE. When I heard about the ever increasing significance of the infamous coronavirus, I thought Denmark was the best place to be. The people are calm, hyggeligt in fact, and they don't really take any rash actions. Well, I unfortunately must inform you that crisis anywhere in the world results the same: a mass-purchasing of toilet paper.


All said, I'm in no danger, except for the danger that we are all in, the possible, inevitable, perhaps, inability to wipe. Other than that pleasant thought, I'm stuck here. Which could be good or bad, it depends on how intense the food hoarding is. Denmark decided to close down all of their boarders, neither letting people in or out for the next 30 days (except for Danish citizens). Well America, from what I've heard, did about the same thing... This complicates things, both say we can still get into the other country by being a citizen, yet the country I'm in will not let me leave it (according to my limited knowledge of Danish politics). Looks like I'll just have to eat Danish pastries for the rest of my life, desværre.


The other positive ways to look at this shutdown is that we can contact in different ways now! Instead of going up and talking to people, we now stalk them on Facebook, add them, and talk about religion... OR we go to groups on Facebook and talk about religion, then get harassed by all the anti-religion anti-member people, and then feel like trash (fret not, for I have no personal experience with either of these). Yet, because of our lock down from all contacting, or contact with the outside world (we can go outside, just not talk to people), I have been confined to a small, small apartment with a missionary who just drinks too much dang milk! Now I'm not great at math, but he has about 8 in the picture I'm sending, and at least 4 more in the fridge. That is 3 gallons of milk (maybe even a little bit more). Luckily this is the biggest of our problems, and don't think I don't have my own, most of the juice is mine, adding it up I drink about a gallon of juice a week... We all have our weaknesses. I'm, in the least, glad I get to spend two weeks of quarantine (potentially more who knows) with someone pretty chill, and who drinks a lot of milk, which means his bones are strong, which means if and when the mobs attack he can bat them down with the big stick we are holding in our apartment for safety from the "looters".


See I love writing these emails, because no one knows if I'm joking about that stick... Or the looters.


Anyways, we are fine. All is well. Except where it's not! 2 Nephi 28:25 - “25 Wo be unto him that crieth: All is well!” All is well is a great statement, especially when found in the trust of God. There is, however, a point where all is well becomes an excuse for idleness. I’ve found that there are two ways to say all is well, one is that all is well because of our God. The other is all is well because we have no need to improve ourselves. In some places, as I’ve seen in Denmark, many people have it just fine, they have all the essentials, a good family, a good job, enough food on the table, and a few luxuries - and therefore they think “all is well.” We can always improve, always change something, always become more Christ-like. In these times of fear and doubt, we must stick closer and closer to the “all is well” of trusting God. All will be well if we trust our God, but we must first put in the effort and remove ourselves from the stagnant “all is well.” This takes time and work in order to come out of this mindset, but I know that by coming out of it, we will feel much safer trusting God and knowing that all will turn out well. On Christ’s side, all will be well.


I know these times are full of fear, doubt, anxiety, stress, and trust me, I’m right there with you in it. One thing that has helped me through all of these stressful times is my God. He has strengthened me everyday, and given me some tender mercy to help me know that He is there and He is watching out for me. I ask of you all to reach out to him, he is always reaching out to you, waiting for you to take his hand. If you want a message of encouragement and spiritual guidance, please email me and let me know. This is a perfect time to reach out to God and to learn to know him.


I love you all and I hope you have a great week despite of all the craziness we are. Hold on, hold fast, and take your vitamins!!!


Med kærlig hilsen,

Ældste Salisbury

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Practically Prodigal

A Sick Baptism!

Todd